Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Grand Valley Art Students League is simply amazing!

I joined the Grand Valley Art Student's League a few weeks ago and attended my first "session" Saturday. The "sessions" are held at the Art Center the second Saturday of every month from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Cost is only $40 a year. The league was founded by popular artist Sara Alyn Oakley of the Oakley Gallery and the Artists Colony here in Grand Junction. That's all I knew going in to my first session. Oh, and I was told to just bring my "kit."

So, I packed up my "kit," which is a lightweight Stanley tool box on wheels, and arrived a few minutes early, so I was able to secure an end space at one of the long rows of tables. Artists were setting up easels, putting on...
art aprons, greeting each other with curious smiles. I put on my apron, then made a quick tour of the new exhibits in the galleries in the center.

I was struck by the works by Brad Miller; in fact, I kept wandering back to his exhibit. In particular, I was drawn to his wood pieces, wow... highly recommend seeing his art!

As more artists entered the center carrying their "kits," I eagerly returned to the league action. I'd never experienced anything like it. There were probably 20 of us in the large gallery room; some us working at the tables, others standing in front of easels; some even brought their own special portable tables.

Oils, pastels, water colors, collage; flowers, landscapes, still life, animals -- an artist from Australia was painting sheep into his landscape and turned to us suddenly and said, "there, a mob of sheep." Mob? We all chuckled, but then he explained that in Australia, that's what a group of sheep is called. Who knew? Mob and sheep are not two words I would expect together.

There was so much creativity going on in that room. Creating, questioning, chatting, sharing. A delightful artist, Fay Timmerman-Traudt, saw the angst on my face at a bubble on the piece I was working on. "Hi, I'm Fay, are you wondering what to do about that?" I nodded, introducing myself. "Well, since you're doing collage, why not just tear it back and leave it like that?" Of course! I didn't even think to tear it away and leave it raw. I thanked her and immediately began tearing away. And it worked beautifully!

Around noon or so, artists were pulling sandwiches and salads out of their kits, munching while they worked. Then, at 1 p.m., it was time for a "practicum" on "how to light a still life," presented by Sara Oakley. I konw! Every month, a different artist presents a different practicum or lesson for us for about an hour! I couldn't believe it!

We started clean up around 3:30 p.m. I was amazed at how fast the day went. I'd learned about lighting still life, met so many wonderful artists, actually finished a piece I'd been wanting to finish, and made signficant headway on another!

Overall, I'd say I got more than $40 worth in that one day; and to think that covers an entire year of 12 monthly sessions! I am so greatful to Sara for starting the league; she said it took her almost 10 years to get it going. Wow...

I can't wait for the next one!

No comments:

Post a Comment