Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Artist surprise trade and beautiful moment!

I had the most amazing thing happen Saturday! I went to the Art Center to pick up my art from the Instructor-Student exhibit and while walking through the back in the clay area, there were several clay artists working at a table, chatting. I stopped because a beautiful platter caught my eye.

Platter by Caroline McDaniel
"This is beautiful," I said to no one in particular.

"Oh thank you," the woman at the end of the table responded.

"Did you create this?" I asked, lightly touching the platter. "I love the blue in the center and all the imprints around it."

"Wow, thank you," the woman smiled, then asked, "do you want it?"

I quickly pulled my hand back from the platter. "What?"

She smiled, "do you want it?"

Tears immediately filled my eyes. "Seriously?"

"Yes, no one has ever cried over one of my pieces before; I would love for you to have it."

I just stood there in stunned silence, not knowing what to do or say.

"I would be honored," I said, picking it up carefully. "Um, I'm new at this whole art-making thing, but can I make something for you? I am learning how to work with alcohol inks; what colors do you like?"

"Purple. Purple and green," she said, pointing to her purple and green plaid hat.

We exchanged contact information, and she went back to her clay and I left the Art Center with this lovely platter and completely overwhelmed by the whole incident.

"Caroline's Treehouse" by Krystyn Hartman. Alcohol ink on yupo
Her name is Caroline McDaniel. She is so cool! I worked on this piece for her over the past few days, starting of course with purple. Its similar to the "Treehouse" piece I did, which I really enjoyed doing so thought I'd try a similar piece for Caroline.

My mother and her artist friend visiting from Texas dropped by while I was working on it and her friend suggested I try painting the silver metallic circles wiht the inks, which had not occurred to me! So, I painted the circle with the orange to give a shiny sun-like effect.

I stuck a red feather over the top of the chili ristra too, to give it more texture. I do love texture! So, I'm calling this piece, "Caroline's Treehouse," and can't wait to give it to her. I hope she likes it!

No comments:

Post a Comment