Sunday, July 8, 2012

Circle skirts: Fun, comfy, and easy to make!

Last Saturday, I had this overwhelming want to make and wear a black-and-white polka dot circle skirt for some reason. Something about it; fun, breezy.

So, I headed to JoAnn's Fabrics in the mall, discount coupon in hand, and found an inexpensive, light-weight cotton polka dot fabric, then thumbed through the skirts section of every pattern book there but could not find a circle skirt pattern. Finally, I took a chance and looked in the "costumes" section, and voila, a 1950s "costume" poodle skirt, full circle with waistband (Simplicity 5403).

But it required fabric 60 inches wide. The fabric I'd found -- the only black on white polka dot fabric in the whole store -- was only 44 inches wide. What to do? I was immediately distracted by a jolly but loud customer chatting with the store clerk behind me. "No, I'm a custom clothier and needed more thread."

I turned around. "Do you have a card?" I asked, then explained my problem. She took the fabric, unrolled several yards, then with great enthusiasm, told me how to make it work, including tricks and tips on how to put in the zipper. She was absolutely delightful!

"My name is Dolly Jo," she said, extending her hand. I thanked her and made a note to myself that when times get better, I'm so going to her for some custom dresses!

I made my skirt that afternoon, using all the tips and tricks she explained to me and I couldn't be happier with the results! (Important note, if you decide to use this pattern, it runs extremely small! I normally wear a size 4 skirt, but had to use the size 12 pattern, which fit perfectly -- so, on this pattern, size 12 is actually size 4!)

Yesterday, I had the opportunity to wear it, finally! I was speaker for a small group of retirees who meet every Friday morning to discuss politics -- local and national. I had a great time and my polka dot skirt was quite comfortable and I was happy as a clam.

Then, last night was the First Friday reception at the Art Center (I have three art pieces hanging there as part of the Instructor-Student exhibit -- me being a student obviously) and, again, I felt so happy in my polka dot circle skirt!

So happy, in fact, that this morning I rummaged through my fabric box and found a fawn and ecru light and breezy cotton fabric that Margaret Allyson, my dear friend and editor, had sent to me months ago in a happy box. It too was only 44 inches wide, but thanks to the tips and tricks by Dolly Jo, I knew what to do!

My husband came in out of the garage and saw me with the fabric. "Another skirt?" he asked, then added, "I have to run to the store, need anything?" A zipper, I said, laughing. "Are you serious?" He asked, shaking his head. I handed him a small fabric swatch. "I can't believe I'm doing this," he mumbled, taking the swatch and headed out the door, still shaking his head.

Long story short. Ta da! I made the second skirt -- with zipper support from my oh-so-understanding and wonderful husband.

I do realize this is a silly topic to blog about (I'm not even sure which topic category to post it with), but I had such a great time making them, met Dolly Jo, and well, just had to share!

Now I'm hoping I can find time over the next few weeks to make another one, because I have a few more fabrics in my fabric box that just might work! (Unlikely though, as I have a pretty full plate the next few weeks. But, we'll see!)

No comments:

Post a Comment