Sunday, July 15, 2012

More art using alcohol ink!

I had a bit of free time while visiting family in Nebraska this weekend, which means I was able to sneak in a little art time.

"Roots" by Krystyn Hartman. Alcohol Ink on Yupo
My husband's youngest sister was in the hospital when we arrived and was eating a yogurt when we walked into her room. (She was released the next day and is doing much better.) I told her that I brought some of the alcohol inks with me and she asked if I would paint something for her. Seeing the shiny yogurt top on the table next her, I told her yes of course then asked for the yogurt top.

Here is the piece I did for her, incorporating the shiny yogurt top, complete with sell-by date, into the piece.

Thinking family, and that her brother (my husband), and other two sisters were all together, I decided to paint "roots" in the piece over and around the yogurt top.

There is no art supply store in Chadron (if there is, we sure couldn't find it), so I found a nice little frame for $4 at Walmart and voila! A personalized piece for her and good practice for me.

"Dichotomy" by Krystyn Hartman. Alcohol Ink
On a roll, and eager to do more, I decided to try another piece the next evening. It was so blasted hot out that I was reminded of the bare red slick rock in our high desert of Western Colorado but was also thinking how refreshing it would be to jump into some cool fresh water.

The result of that mood? Desert rock, a lone juniper, and thundering waterfall. I named this one "dichotomy" because of the beautiful contrast yet harmony between the hot desert rock and cool water falling in the distance; from the vantage point of the rock.

I do so love painting with these inks! I may try something more abstract next. Something purple, I'm thinking... Of course, by the time I get around to making another one, my color mood may have changed!

Great fun. I'm glad I had the chance to do some art while away because I have a super busy few weeks ahead so it is doubtful I will have much time to do art for a little while. I take advantage when I do have time!

1 comment: